Saturday, October 6, 2007

Responding to a Call

…Your pager starts beeping. Then the dispatcher says, “Fire and Rescue is needed at 7 north Lester street for a structure fire. Possibly two people trapped…Then it repeats.
I jump up put on my shoes and make sure I am wearing clothes that I do not mind if they get dirty. Next, I run to my car and go to the station. On my way to the station I am wondering a lot of things: is the house fully engulfed?, are the victims really inside? If so are they still alive or how bad are the injured?, Who is in town that can make the call?
Once I arrive at the station and get inside I look around to see who all we have for the call. Then, I rapidly put on my bunker gear; boots, pants, jacket, helmet, and I grab whatever else I might need. As I walk to our highest rank person I make sure I am all zipped and my Velcro is all done. The higher ranking person then will tell me what I am to do whether it is going to a certain seat on the truck or staying back to do some of the paperwork.
If I am going on the truck I get into the mindset of the job they said they want me to do. On our way there I listen to the dispatcher giving updates to what is going on.
When we arrive on scene I make sure they want me to still do the same job and execute it making sure that my scene is safe and I will not be harmed doing my job….I continue working on scene doing various jobs that the incident commander tells me to do. Once we are all finished we load back up in the truck and head back to the station. Back at the station we unload, clean up, and finish up paperwork. Once everything is finished we head back to what we were doing. Then the process repeats the next time we get a call.

No comments: